Last week, while searching for something on Microsoft’s PartnerSource, I came across an announcement that Microsoft is discontinuing sales of the Extender module and that both sales and support of Extender will revert back to eOne Solutions, the original developer of Extender, starting February 1, 2013.
Please note that eOne has always sold a more advanced version of Extender, called Extender Enterprise. Everything in this post is talking about the Extender module that is currently sold by Microsoft as a Dynamics GP module. This is sometimes referred to as ‘Extender Standard’, however, I am simply calling it ‘Extender’ since that is how most partners and customers refer to it.
I think this announcement is a pretty big deal because there are many Microsoft Dynamics GP users out there with Extender and because Extender is such a terrific and useful module. For Dynamics GP Partners who want to see all the details and Q&A, you can read the entire Microsoft announcement on PartnerSource. I have not been able to find a similar announcement on CustomerSource yet. For those who do not have PartnerSource access, or just want a few highlights, they are below:
- Effective February 1, 2013, the Extender module for Microsoft Dynamics GP will no longer be sold by Microsoft and will be removed from the Microsoft Dynamics GP price lists.
- eOne Solutions will continue to support existing Extender customers.
- New or existing customers who wish to purchase Extender can purchase it from eOne through their GP Partner. (Customers not working with a partner can work with eOne directly.)
- Starting February 1, 2013, Microsoft Dynamics GP customers who previously obtained a license for Extender from Microsoft will receive a reduction in their Protected List Price and will not be charged annual maintenance fees for Extender on their next Dynamics GP renewal. The license keys for Extender will remain on existing customers’ accounts, allowing the continued use of Extender.
- Any customer that owns Extender as of December 1, 2012 and is current on a maintenance plan will get license rights for Extender for Dynamics GP 2013. However, registration keys and the installation media will need to be obtained from eOne. After Dynamics GP 2013 customers will need to be on an eOne maintenance plan to receive new Extender versions and updates.
I spoke to Abbey Cooper from eOne Solutions and she was wonderful about explaining all the options for partners and customers and answering all the questions I had. If you are a partner supporting customers with Extender, email eOne Solutions to get signed up with them. If you are a customer using Extender or considering it for the future, talk to your GP Partner about any concerns or questions you might have.